Preamble to the Antlantic crossing 2022-Préambules de la traversée de l’Atlantique 2022

Dear family, dear friends, it is time to give you some news from the deck of ASANA.

The repairs to the damages that occured in the Drake Passage took almost four months. A new solid rod mainstay came from Denmark and Reckmann profiles from Germany. These profiles fit over the stay and are used to hold the headsails, the luff tape (a thicker rope) from the luff (front part of the sail) is threaded through a groove in the profile and holds the sail perfectly. The Reckmann profile of the headsail is the one that took the longest because it is not a standard size and had to be custom made.

The repairs were completed and the boat finally left Buenos Aires on July 12th. She arrived in Rio de Janeiro on July 20th. I had asked Luis Gimenez, who had accompanied me to Antarctica, to bring the boat to Rio, thus saving me 1200 miles and 10 days on my schedule. There are still 5600 miles or more than 10,000 km to go to a port in Italy where I intend to leave my boat.

As usual this blog is designed to tell about adventures on the high seas, not to describe holidays along the coast. However, there were quite a few adventures on the way from Rio de Janeiro to Salvador de Bahia which is 800 nautical miles. For the good understanding of what follows and the tracking on the site, a brief description is necessary and you will forgive me for the length as, as you will read, many things happened during the last two weeks.

Marleen and I with Bernard Carette arrived in Rio de Janeiro on July 20th. Christian Grangé and Bernadette Beekmans, who are going to do this first stage with us, arrived on 17 July in order to visit this extraordinary city.


On July 21st, the crew of the ASANA changes at the Iate Clube of Rio de Janeiro. Luis and the four sailors who brought the boat, disembark and we go on board. We do the food shopping in the evening and I fill the endless administrative documents and forms.


First detail, our suitcases didn’t arrive when we landed in RIo, Marleen and Bernard went to the airport to get them on Friday 22nd July at 2pm. As soon as they get on board, we leave the bay of Rio. We couldn’t fill the fuel tanks because there wasn’t enough water depth to get to the pump. Nonetheless, I’m happy to have my boat back and to be able to sail again. The crew is also happy to pass under the Sugar Loaf and to discover a bit of this immense country. An unexpected wind came up during the early part of the night and we anchored at 1am in a bay of Cape Frio. The next day, we sail the short distance to anchor in Buzios. Buzios is a charming town and we have a nice evening in a restaurant on the beach. We leave the next day to go to Vitoria, distant 180 miles. The wind is head-on and we have to tack. Fortunately, in the evening it calmed down a bit and we could sail directly with the help of the engine.

We arrive in the bay of Vitoria the next evening around 7pm, the night has already fallen, the sun sets at 5.30pm, it’s winter in Brazil. The tide is low and our arrival is a bit tricky, we touch mud 50 meters from the marina entrance. We finally manage to get inside the marina by motoring along the outer breakwater at less than one meter.

The next day, July 26th, was a busy day of preparation, the fuel pump is located in a very narrow and shallow area inside the marina. The tide will be at its highest at 2pm. I take soundings with a lead line to make sure there will be enough depth. I leave the mooring at 1pm. I just make it to the fuel pontoon and can load 800 liters of fuel. There is less than 10cm of water under the keel and we quickly leave the pontoon to return to our mooring. We wait for a mechanic to come and check the outboard engine which has refused to start since I stepped on the boat. At 4pm the outboard engine is running like clockwork, we hoist the dinghy onto the deck and cast off to go to Porto Seguro, 240 miles away. As expected, the wind is from the east and veers slowly to the southeast, so we have a pleasant side wind that enables us to sail between 8 and 9 knots in a straight line towards our destination.

The next day the sea is full of whales all around us! Some of them are broaching, jumping almost completely out of the water before falling down in a big splash, others are moving parallel to us sometimes at a distance of only 50 metres. At one point, four whales decided to cut our path coming from port and although we had the right of way 😉 I rushed to the helm to give a big turn to the left to avoid hitting them. None of us had ever seen so many whales in our lives. This continued for two days. There must have been hundreds and hundreds.

In the afternoon, a sudden smoke came out of the exhaust, and when I opened the engine room door I saw a lot of water vapor. I cut the engine immediately. Having contacted different persons, the consensus is that it is probably a failure of the cylinder heads gasket. What a misfortune. The repair will take at least several days if there are no other complications.

We are still 100 miles from Porto Seguro, but the wind is good and we sail on. In the evening the autopilot makes unusual noises, I realize that the hydraulic oil tank is empty, I have a little left but not enough to fill it up. To avoid any problems, we will steer by hand, Bernard and I will take turns with Christian’s assistance. We finally arrived at Porto Seguro on July 28th at 6am and drop the anchor in front of the entrance to the channel, there was not enough water to go further.

Due to various delays, Christian and Bernadette leave us a little later in the morning to fly to Salvador where their flight leaves on the 30th. I would like to congratulate and thank Bernadette who spent three full nights sailing at sea during a short week’s stay even though she has never sailed on a sailboat. Thanks also to Christian for taking his watch during the night to support the man at the helm.

Two young Italians, Matteo Cascapera and Andrea Rocchi, the first being the son of a Roman friend and customer, who will cross the Atlantic with me and who were waiting in Sao Paulo, took a plane to Porto Seguro and embarked the same day.

We go ashore around noon. Two diesel mechanics confirm that such a repair can only be done in Salvador. The wind is good, I decide to leave without waiting, as the wind should turn against us again on Saturday. I buy two one-liter bottles of hydraulic oil for the autopilot. Once on board, I fill about 200ml and the autopilot works perfectly.

We hoist the furled code 0 up so we can use it if the wind diminished. The evening goes well and we make good speed towards Salvador which is 180 miles from Porto Seguro. The next day, around noon, the wind drops completely and the sea is like a mirror. There is nothing to do, we must wait. The sun is shining so we take this opportunity to swim and relax. There are still whales up to 100 meters from the boat but too far away for us to approach them. At 2pm the wind comes back and we set sail again for Salvador. I set a course to the NE because the wind, which is from the East, will back to the NE first then North. By anticipating this change, I can bear away later and continue to sail towards Salvador. We are making good speed. During the night, the wind turns slowly as expected towards the North East. At 6am, while only 20 miles away from Salvador, the wind suddenly shifts to the North, forcing us to change course. Fortunately, it continued to veer West and we were able to tack and make a course straight for Salvador.

When we arrived in the huge bay of Salvador, the wind became very light and the current was against us. I unfurl the code 0 and we sail, regatta mode, tacking to create apparent wind and move towards the harbour entrance.

I carefully prepare the docking procedure as the marina warned me that they don’t have a dinghy to tow us. The Zodiac is therefore outside the rail ready to be launched at my signal. Once past the last lighthouse at the entrance to the port, we lower the dinghy in the water and tie it alongside the starboard hull wihile furling the sails, first the mainsail and then the code 0. Matteo is handling the Zodiac and outboard, with the engine at 3/4 of its power, we are making 3.5 knots, which is more than we need. We slow down when we arrive in front of our place, we reverse and arrive in our spot. We are perfectly moored at the pontoon of Porto Salvador Marina at 10:30 am on Saturday July 30th.

One hour later the mechanic comes on board. He makes several tests, good news, it’s not the cylinder head gasket!  What broke was the impeller shaft for the seawater cooling system. This is a relief as removing a head gasket is not an easy task and it often doesn’t end there. Having said that, if it is rather normal for an impeller to deteriorate (I have three spare ones on board), the fact that the shaft itself broke is quite unusual.

The mechanic will check on Monday to see if he can find a spare shaft.

In the meantime, I check the forestay fitting and the deck that were repaired and redone in Buenos Aires and I notice that the fitting is 2mm higher than the deck. This means that the new stainless steel plate that was made especially to solidify the base of the fitting is not working and therefore is actually useless! Having had the experience of a forestay breakage when leaving Antarctica I have no desire to take the slightest risk of experiencing this again. I decide to dismantle the whole thing to see how to improve fixing the fitting more securely. Fortunately, I call a boat repairman I met three years ago and I discover that he is on his boat just behind me on the same pontoon! With his two workers the work progresses quickly. The sail is lowered, the forestay is dismantled and the anchor chain windlass is removed to gain access to the tip of the boat. We decide to make an extra 2mm thick stainless steel plate to fill up the empty space and allow the fitting to be securely fixed to the deck.

Marleen leaves the boat on Monday evening, August 1st. I’m glad she came this far with me and we were able to spend some good time together. It will be a long way until the ship arrives in the Mediterranean.

The mechanic informs me that it takes three months to get the spare part from Yanmar, so we decide to have the part made by a metal milling operator. It will take two days.

On Thursday, August 4, the work has progressed well on both fronts. The shaft of the seawater pump part is ready and the mechanic reassembles it at the end of the afternoon. At 5pm the engine is running. What a relief!

At 6pm, Marcello’s workers have fixed the fitting, which is now firmly bolted to the deck.

This morning, Friday 5th August, we fixed the forestay on the fitting, put the windlass in place and finally hoist and furl the sail.

Our passports were stamped for our exit at the immigration office on Wednesday, and I went to the customs office yesterday to exit the boat. We still have to do the harbour master’s office at the commercial port and pay the marina and we can leave.

The departure is scheduled for this Friday 5 August around noon.


Chère famille, chers amis, voici quelques nouvelles du bord.

Les réparations des dégats survenus dans le Drake Passage ont duré presque quatre mois. Il
a fallu attendre un nouvel étai principal en rod qui est venu du Danemark et les profils
Reckmann qui sont venus d’Allemagne.Ces profils s’enfilent sur les étais et servent à tenir
les voiles d’avant, on enfile la ralingue (un corde plus épaisse) du guindant (partie avant de
la voile) dans le profil et elles tiennent parfaitement bien dedans. Le profil Reckmann de la
voile d’avant est celui qui a duré le plus longtemps car ce n’est pas une taille standard et a
dû être fabriqué spécialement.

Les réparations terminées le bateau a finalement quitté Buenos Aires le 12 juillet et est
arrivé le 20 juillet à Rio de Janeiro. J’avais demandé à Luis Gimenez qui m’avait accompagné
en Antarctique de bien vouloir amener le bateau à Rio, m’évitant ainsi 1200 miles de trajet
et 10 jours sur mon horaire. Il reste encore 5600 milles soit plus de 10.000 km jusqu’à un
port en Italie où je compte amené mon bateau.
Comme d’habitude ce blog est conçu dans l’idée de raconter les aventures en haute mer,
pas pour décrire des vacances le long des côtes. Cependant, il est quand même arrivé pas
mal d’aventures sur le trajet de Rio de Janeiro à Salvador de Bahia qui fait 800 miles
nautiques. Pour la bonne compréhension de ce qui va suivre et du tracking sur le site, une
brève description s’impose.
Marleen et moi avec Bernard Carette sommes donc arrivés le 20 juillet à Rio de Janeiro.
Christian Grangé et Bernadette Beekmans, qui vont faire cette première étape avec nous,
sont arrivés eux le 17 juillet afin de pouvoir visiter un peu cette ville quand même
Le 21 juillet, changement d’équipage du ASANA, au Iate Clube de Rio de Janeiro. Luis et
quatre marins débarquent et nous montons à bord. On fait les courses et je remplis les
interminables documents administratifs.
Premier détail, nos valises étaient manquantes à notre arrivée, Marleen et Bernard irons les
récupèrer à l’aéroport le vendredi 22 juillet à 14h. A peine montés à bord, nous quittons la
baie de Rio vers 16h. Nous n’avons pas pu faire le plein de fuel, car il n’y a pas assez de
profondeur d’eau pour arriver à la pompe. Je suis content de retrouver mon bateau qui est
en état de naviguer à nouveau. L’équipage est content aussi de passer sous le Pain de Sucre
et de découvrir un peu de cet immense pays. Un vent inattendu s’étant levé en début de
nuit, on s’ancre vers 1h du matin dans une baie du cap de Frio. Le lendemain, on fait la
courte distance pour s’ancrer à Buzios. Belle soirée dans un restaurant sur la plage. Nous
quittons le lendemain pour aller à Vitoria, distance 180 miles. Le vent est de face et nous
devons tirer des bords. Heureusement dans la soirée cela se calme un peu et on peut faire
route directe en s’aidant du moteur.

On arrive dans la baie de Vitoria le lendemain vers 19h, la nuit est déjà tombée, le soleil se
couche à 17h30, c’est l’hiver au Brésil. La marée est basse et notre arrivée est un peu
délicate, on touche la vase à 50 mètres de l’entrée de la marina. Nous réussissons
finalement à entrer à l’intérieur de la marina en longeant le môle extérieur à moins d’un
Le lendemain 26 juillet, journée intense de préparation, la pompe à essence est située dans
un endroit très étroit et peu profond à l’intérieur de la marina. La marée sera au plus haut à
14h. Je fais des sondages avec un fil à plomb pour m’assurer qu’il y aura suffisamment de
fond. Je quitte mon amarrage à 13h. J’arrive au ponton de fuel de justesse et je peux
charger 800 litres de fuel. Il y a à peine 10cm d’eau sous լa quille et on quitte vite le ponton
pour retourner e à notre amarrage. On attend qu’un mécanicien vienne réviser le moteur
hors-bord qui refuse de partir depuis que j’ai pris le bateau. A 16h le moteur tourne comme
une horloge, on hisse l’annexe sur le pont et on largue les amarres pour aller à Porto
Seguro, distant de 240 milles. Comme prévu le vent est de l’Est et vire au Sud-Est, nous
avons donc un agréable vent de travers qui nous fait avancer entre 8 et 9 nœuds en droite
ligne vers notre destination.
Dès le lendemain, la mer est remplie de baleines tout autour de nous! Certaines sautent
presque entièrement hors de l’eau, d’autres avancent parallèlement à nous à 50 m à peine.
Un moment, quatre baleines décident de couper notre route venant sur babord et malgré
que nous avions la priorité de droite 😉 je me précipité sur la barre pour donner un grand
coup à gauche afin d’éviter de les toucher. Aucun de nous n’a jamais vu autant de baleines
de notre vie. Cela continuera ainsi pendant deux jours.
Dans l’après-midi, une fumée soudaine sort du tuyau d’échappement, en ouvrant la porte
de la cale moteur je constate qu’il y a énormément de vapeur d’eau. Je coupe le moteur
immédiatement. Ayant pris divers renseignements, on pense qu’il s’agit probablement
d’une défaillance du joint de culasse. C’est une grosse tuile. La réparation durera au moins
plusieurs jours s’il n’y a pas d’autres complications.
Nous sommes encore à 100 miles de Porto Seguro, qu’à cela ne tienne, le vent est bon, on
peut avancer à la voile. Dans la soirée, le pilote automatique fait des bruits inhabituels, je
me rends compte aussi que le réservoir d’huile hydraulique est vide, il m’en reste un peu
mais pas assez que pour le remplir suffisamment. Pour éviter tout problème, nous barrerons
à la main, Bernard et moi nous relayerons avec l’assistance de Christian. On arrive
finalement le 28 juillet à 6h du matin devant Porto Seguro et nous jetons l’ancre devant
l’entrée du chenal d’entrée, il n’y a pas assez d’eau pour aller plus loin.
Du fait des différents retard, Christian et Bernadette nous quittent un peu plus tard dans la
matinée pour aller par avion à Salvador où leur vol part le 30. Je tiens à féliciter et remercier
Bernadette qui a passé trois nuits complètes en navigation en mer sur un séjour d’une
semaine alors qu’elle n’a jamais navigué sur un voilier. Merci aussi à Christian d’avoir pris
son quart pendant la nuit pour soutenir moralement l’homme à la barre.

Deux jeunes Italiens, Matteo Cascapera et Andrea Rocchi qui vont faire la traversée de
l’Atlantique avec moi et qui attendaient à Sao Paulo, ont pris un avion vers Porto Seguro et
embarquent à leur tour le même jour.

Nous allons à terre vers midi. Deux mécaniciens diésélistes me confirment qu’une
réparation pareille ne peut être fait qu’à Salvador. Le vent est bon, je décide de partir sans
trop attendre, le vent devant de nouveau devenir contre le samedi. J’achète cependant
deux bouteilles d’un litre d’huile hydraulique pour le pilote automatique. Une fois à bord, je
remplis environ 200ml et le pilote marche à merveille.
Nous mettons le code 0 à poste pour pouvoir continuer à avancer si le vent faiblit. La soirée
se passe bien et nous avançons à bonne vitesse vers Salvador qui est à 180 milles de Porto
Seguro. Le lendemain vers midi, le vent tombe complètement, la mer est d’huile. Il n’y a rien
à faire, il faut attendre. Il y a un beau soleil, on en profite pour se baigner. Il y a encore des
baleines jusqu’à 100 mètres du bateau mais trop loin pour qu’on puisse les approcher. A
14h le vent revient et nous remettons les voiles pour Salvador. Je mets le cap vers le NE car
le vent qui est à l’Est va refuser vers le NE puis le Nord. En anticipant sur ce changement,
cela va me permettre d’abattre et de continuer vers Salvador. Nous avançons à bonne
vitesse. Pendant la nuit, le vent tourne lentement comme prévu vers le Nord Est. A 6h du
matin, alors que nous ne sommes plus qu’à 20 milles de Salvador, le vent passe subitement
au Nord ce qui nous oblige de changer de cap. Heureusement, il continue de tourner vers
l’Ouest et nous pouvons virer de bord et faire le cap direct vers Salvador.
Arrivé dans l’immense baie de Salvador, le vent est très faible et le courant est contre. Je
déroule le code 0 et nous naviguons en mode régate en tirant des bords pour créer du vent
apparent et avancer vers l’entrée du port.
Je prépare minutieusement la manouvre d’accostage, la marina m’ayant prévenue qu’elle
n’a pas d’annexe pour nous remorquer. Le Zodiac se trouve dont hors du bastingage prêt à
être mis à l’eau à mon signal. Une fois passé le dernier phare de l’entrée du port. Je met
l’annexe à l’eau qu’on amarre le long de la coque tribord et j’enroule les voiles, d’abord la
Grand’ voile ensuite le code 0. Matteo est à la manœuvre dans le Zodiac en mettant le
moteur au 3/4 de sa puissance, nous avançons à 3.5 nœuds, c’est plus qu’il nous en faut. On
ralentit donc en arrivant devant notre place et après une marche arrière nous sommes
parfaitement amarrés au ponton de Porto Salvador Marina vers 10h le samedi 30 juillet.
Une heure plus le mécanicien est déjà bord. Il fait plusieurs tests, bonne nouvelle, ce n’est
pas le joint de culasse! Ce qui a cassé est l’axe d’entrainement de l’impeller de
refroidissement du moteur par eau de mer. C’est un soulagement car démonter un joint de
culasse n’est pas une mince affaire et souvent cela ne s’arrête pas là. Ceci dit, s’il arrive
souvent qu’un impeller se détériore (j’en ai trois de rechange à bord), le fait que l’axe lui-
même se soit cassé est tout à fait inhabituel.
Le mécanicien se renseignera lundi pour voir s’il trouve une pièce de rechange.

En attendant, je vérifie la ferrure de l’étai qui a été refaite à Buenos Aires et je constate
qu’elle est soulevée de 2mm par rapport au pont. Cela veut dire que la nouvelle plaque en
inox fabriquée spécialement pour solidifier cette fixation ne travaille pas et donc ne sert en
fait à rien! Ayant eu l’expérience d’une rupture d’étai en quittant l’Antarctique je n’ai
aucune envie de prendre le moindre risque que cette aventure se répète. Je décide de tout
démonter pour voir comment améliorer cette fixation. Heureusement, j’appelle un
réparateur de bateau que j’ai connu il y a trois ans et je découvre qu’il se trouve sur son
bateau juste derrière moi sur le même ponton! Avec ses deux ouvriers le travail avance vite.
On affale la voile, on démonte l’étai et on démonte aussi le guindeau de la chaine d’ancre
pour pouvoir accéder à la pointe du bateau. Nous décidons de faire fabriquer une plaque
supplémentaire en inox de 2mm d’épaisseur qui reprendra l’espace vide et ainsi permettre
que la ferrure soit solidement fixée sur le pont.
Marleen quitte le bord le lundi soir 1 er aôut. Je suis content qu’elle a fait ce bout de chemin
avec moi. La route sera longue jusqu’à ce que le bateau arrive en Méditerranée.
Le mécanicien m’informe que le délai pour obtenir une pièce de rechange de Yanmar est de
trois mois, nous décidons donc de faire fabriquer la pièce chez un tourneur-fraiseur. Il faut
compter deux jours de délai.
Ce jeudi 4 août les travaux ont bien avancé sur les deux fronts. La pièce de la pompe d’eau
de mer est prête et le mécanicien remonte le tout en fin d’après-midi. A 17h le moteur
tourne. Quel soulagement!
De leur côté, à 18h, les ouvriers de Marcello ont remonté la ferrure qui est maintenant
solidement fixée sur le pont.
Ce matin du vendredi 5 août, nous allons fixer l’étai sur la ferrure, remonter le guideau et
enfin hisser et enrouler la voile.
Nos passeports sont tamponnés pour la sortie au bureau au bureau d’immigration mercredi,
et je suis passé au bureau des douanes hier pour la sortie du bateau. Il reste à faire la
capitainerie du port commercial et payer la marina et nous pourrons partir.
Le départ est prévu ce vendredi 5 août à midi.